Daily Current Affairs June 1
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs June 1
In Meghalaya, single-largest party now is Congress.
- Congress on Thursday retained the Ampati assembly seat to emerge as the single largest party in the Meghalaya assembly.
- With a tally of 14,259, Congress’s Miami D Shira defeated ruling National People’s Party (NPP) candidate Clement G Momin by a margin of 3,191 votes.
- Could Congress in Meghalaya also win over allies in the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA).
India, Malaysia cement maritime ties.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi left to deliver the keynote address at a high-powered security summit in Singapore.
- Modi is expected to make a big announcement on the Regional Security Architecture, officials and experts in the know of Asean matters said.
- Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore are all three key strategic partners for India and the signal that is coming through, especially after the high-yielding bilateral agreements with Indonesia.
PM Modi visits India-Singapore startups exhibition.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the India-Singapore Enterprise and Innovation Exhibition at Marina Bay Sands Convention Centre.
- Modi was joined by Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Minister for Communications and Information S Iswaran.
- A new India Innovation Hub of over 50,000 square feet in Singapore was also launched on the occasion.
UP gets its first Muslim Lok Sabha MP in four years.
- Tabassum Hasan of Rashtriya Lok Dal has become the first Muslim candidate to enter the Lok Sabha from Uttar Pradesh since 2014.
- UP had created history by not electing a single candidate from the community in the 16th Lok Sabha in 2014.
- Hasan defeated her nearest rival Mriganka Singh of BJP by 44,618 votes in Kairana. Hasan had won the seat in the 2009 LS polls with BSP by besting BJP’s Hukum Singh.
PM Modi launches 3 Indian digital payment apps in Singapore.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched three Indian mobile payment apps in Singapore at a business event here aimed at internationalisation of the country’s digital payment platforms.
- The RuPay digital payments system was linked up with Singapore’s 33-year-old Network for Electronic Transfers (NETS).
- RuPay users will be able to make payments at all NETS acceptance points across Singapore.
- Singapore branch of the SBI is the first to launch this new mode of remittance in collaboration with NPCI.
India to go ahead with S-400 defence deal with Russia.
- India will push ahead with its deal to buy the S-400 air defence systems from Russia despite opposition from the US, defence ministry officials said on condition of anonymity.
- According to them, the defence ministry will approach the apex Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) for approval to purchase five units of Russian S-400 air defence systems.
- They added that the ministry has received no instructions as of now to stall the contract in the wake of the US red-flagging the $5.5 billion deal.
Latest International Current Affairs June 1 Updates from around the globe.
Russian foreign minister meets with the North Korean counterpart.
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov met with his North Korean counterpart Ri Yong Ho on Thursday in Pyongyang.
- Lavrov’s visit comes ahead of a planned summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- After his arrival, Lavrov met with Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho and others at an assembly hall in the capital.
The US renames Pacific military command in the nod to ties with India.
- The United States renamed its Pacific Command, a unified combatant entity that stretches from “Hollywood to Bollywood as Indo-Pacific Command.
- It was also seen to signal the increasing focus on a part of the world that is close to China, which has been described by the Trump administration as a “strategic competitor.
- Over many decades, this command has repeatedly adapted to changing circumstance and today carries that legacy forward as America focuses west.
UN Security Council extends South Sudan sanctions through mid-July.
- The UN Security Council voted on Thursday to renew some sanctions on South Sudan through mid-July.
- To consider imposing travel bans and asset freezes on six South Sudanese leaders if the country’s conflict does not stop by June 30.
- Ethiopia’s UN ambassador, Tekeda Alemu, said before the vote he understood US frustration with the situation in South Sudan but opposed the measure.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs June 1 updates by reading the news.
E-wallet PhonePe sees 100 million users.
- PhonePe, the Bengaluru-based digital payments company, said it has crossed 100 million users on its app as it hit an annualised total payments volume (TPV) run rate of $20 billion.
- An annual run rate is calculated based on the current month’s volume of payments that PhonePe has processed.
- Its bigger rival Paytm claimed it had processed annualised transactions worth $29 billion through its platform.
- PhonePe co-founder & CEO Sameer Nigam said, “We have gone from launch to 100 million users in just 21 months.
PayPal joins Temasek in $125 million round for Pine Labs.
- PayPal has made its maiden investment in India with a bet on point-of-sale (PoS) payments provider Pine Labs as part of a $125-million funding round in the company.
- Singapore government’s sovereign wealth fund Temasek has jointly led the financing.
- The payments firm had raised $82 million (around Rs 530 crore) in March, led by emerging markets investor Actis.
Quora now available in the Hindi language, more regional languages coming soon
- Quora on Thursday launched in Hindi and promised the rollout of the platform in several other Indian vernacular languages soon.
- It was founded in 2009 by Adam D’Angelo, a former Chief Technology Officer at Facebook.
- Besides English, the platform is available in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and starting May 2018 Indonesian too.
Swiggy to provide delivery details on WhatsApp.
- Online food ordering and delivery platform Swiggy on Thursday announced that it is testing WhatsApp enterprise solution as a faster way to stay connected with customers.
- Consumers, however, will have a choice to opt out of Swiggy’s WhatsApp services by replying with “STOP” on the chat-thread.
- The online food delivery platform will continue to update customers who are not on WhatsApp via text messages.
Pakistan signs $1.5 billion defence deal with Turkey.
- Pakistan has signed a deal with Turkey for the purchase of 30 attack helicopters estimated to be worth about $1.5 billion.
- The confirmation of the deal that had been in the pipeline for more than three years was made in the manifesto released by Turkey.
- This will also be the largest defence deal between Turkey and Pakistan, which has turned to countries such as Russia for military hardware following sharp cuts in military aid from the US.
Vijay Mallya resigns as Force India F1 director.
- Co-owner Vijay Mallya has resigned as a director of the Force India Formula One team but will continue to serve as principal and shareholder.
- Mallya, who lives in Britain, is fighting a court battle to prevent his extradition to India to face charges of fraud.
- The 62-year-old Indian, who denies wrongdoing, stands accused of fraudulently palming off losses from his now defunct Kingfisher Airlines.
Current Affairs June 1 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
IPL likely to begin on March 29 next year.
- The BCCI has zeroed in on March 29, 2019, as the starting date of the IPL’s 12th edition.
- The last three general elections in India took place between the months of April and May.
- In 2009, the BCCI had moved IPL to South Africa because of the general elections but the move proved troublesome for the board.
Everton name Marco Silva as manager.
- Everton has appointed Portuguese Marco Silva as their manager on a three-year contract.
- The 40-year-old former Watfordand Hull City manager replaced Sam Allardyce, who was sacked after six months in charge at Goodison Park.
- Everton finished eighth in the Premier League under Allardyce, but the supporters were unhappy with the quality of football on display.
- Silva led Olympiakos to a record 43rd Greek league title in 2016, a year after winning the Portuguese Cup with Sporting.
West Indies beat World XI by 72 runs in the one-sided affair.
- West Indies beat World XI by 72 runs in the Hurricane Relief T20 fund-raiser at Lord’s on Friday.
- It was a power-packed performance by the T20 Champions as they first shined with the bat to score 199/4.
Zinedine Zidane will be coach of France one day.
- Didier Deschamps has backed his former teammate Zinedine Zidane to take over the reigns as coach of France national football team on Thursday.
- Zidane, who announced his departure from Real Madrid, days after leading his side to Champion League success is set to take a break from management.
- However, he is being widely tipped to succeed his Deschamps whose contract comes to an end in 2020.