Daily Current Affairs May 17
|This Day in History|
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 17
BJP’s Yeddyurappa sworn in as Karnataka chief minister.
- BJP legislature party leader B S Yeddyurappa was today sworn in as the chief minister of Karnataka.
- The veteran politician took the oath of office “in the name of God and farmer” while sporting a green shawl draped on his shoulders, a nod to farmer activism in Karnataka.
- The BJP has 104 MLAs in the House, eight short of the magic figure of 112. The Congress-JD(S) combine enjoys the support of 117 MLAs.
- Yeddyurappa has 15 days to prove his majority in the state legislative assembly.
Congress moves SC against Karnataka Governor’s invite to BJP.
- The Congress on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court against Karnataka Governor Vajubhai Vala’s decision to invite BJP leader BS Yeddyurappa to form the government.
- Senior Congress leader Abhishek Singhvi said the party has sought a hearing on its petition challenging the Governor’s decision tonight itself.
- In the evening, Vala invited Yeddyurappa to form the government and take oath as chief minister on Thursday.
Delhi to overtake Tokyo as world’s most populous city by 2028: UN report.
- Two-thirds of people in the world will be living in cities by 2050, and the boom will be concentrated in three countries – India, China and Nigeria, according to United Nations.
- Tokyo with 37 million people is the world’s largest city but it is due to be overtaken by Delhi around 2028, the report said.
- At about the same time, India is expected to surpass China as the country with the world’s largest total population.
- By 2050, India, China and Nigeria will account for more than a third of the projected growth in the world’s urban population, it said.
VK Singh visits North Korea, the first high-level visit from India in 20 years.
- Minister of State for External Affairs General V K Singh was in Pyongyang today where he held talks with several leaders.
- The two-day visit came less than a month before the proposed summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- India has been consistently raising the issue of North Korea’s possible proliferation linkages with Pakistan and had even demanded a probe into it.
Indore the cleanest city, followed by Bhopal and Chandigarh: Swachh Bharat survey.
- Indore emerged as the cleanest city, followed by Bhopal and Chandigarh in the government’s cleanliness survey.
- The results of Swachh Survekshan 2018 were announced today by Minister of State for Housing Hardeep Singh Puri.
- Jharkhand has adjudged the best-performing state in the survey followed by Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh.
- Indore was the cleanest city last year as well but that survey was conducted only for around 430 cities. This time it was conducted for around 4,200 cities.
Latest International Current Affairs May 17 Updates from around the globe.
First-ever UK-India Week to promote bilateral trade and investments.
- A first-of-its-kind UK-India Week will be held in Britain next month to promote bilateral trade and investments through a series of events.
- The events, to be held in London and Buckinghamshire between June 18 and 22, will culminate with the UK-India Awards.
- For India, the UK presents an opportunity for a generation to engage at a much deeper, strategic level.
- The UK-India Awards, launched last year by UK foreign secretary Boris Johnson, will conclude the week-long events.
Britain seeks $40 billion investment to boost the economy after Brexit.
- Britain’s trade minister Liam Fox will invite overseas investors on Thursday to submit bids for financing 30 billion pounds.
- Investors will be offered the chance to fund 68 projects across 20 sectors of the economy, including technology, housing and retail.
- The Department for International Trade will promote the projects to investors overseas and more will be added in the coming months.
Nepali Sherpa summits Mount Everest for record 22nd time.
- A 48-year-old Nepali mountaineer climbed Mount Everest for a 22nd time on Wednesday.
- Creating a new record for the most summits of the world’s highest mountain.
- Kami Rita Sherpa reached the 8,850-meter summit via the Southeast Ridge route, accompanied by 13 other climbers including his clients.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 17 updates by reading the news.
India may miss solar, wind energy targets by 2022, says CEO survey.
- India may not achieve its renewable energy target of having 100 GW of solar energy and 60 GW of wind power by 2022, as per a survey.
- By March 2022 India expects to add total 66 GW of solar energy and 52 GW of wind power.
- The survey found that the most pressing issue for the industry is safeguarded duties, followed by uncertainty in the overall policy environment and weak financial position of Discoms.
IndiGo to start flight operations to Hubli from June 28.
- Budget passenger carrier IndiGo on Wednesday said that it will commence flight operations to Hubli in Karnataka from June 28, 2018.
- IndiGo with its 9th ATR aircraft will operate daily direct flights connecting Hubli to Goa and Kochi from June 28, 2018.
- The low-cost carrier will also operate additional flights between Hubli-Chennai, Hubli-Bengaluru and Hubli-Ahmedabad with Airbus A320, starting July 1, 2018.
Samsung Galaxy S9 smartphones now support Google’s ARCore.
- Samsung’s latest flagships, Galaxy S9 and S9+ will reportedly now support Google’s augmented reality (AR) developer platform, ARCore.
- Google has updated its ARCore support page listing both the Galaxy S9 and the Galaxy S9+ with all major variants.
- Google’s ARCore makes it easier for developers to use the smartphone’s combination of hardware and software to create AR applications.
Current Affairs May 17 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Griezmann fires Atletico Madrid to Europa League title.
- Antoine Griezmann was the hero for Atletico Madrid over Marseille in Wednesday’s Europa League final in Lyon.
- It is Griezmann’s first major title with Atletico, and a fitting way to bow out if he leaves at the season’s end, with Barcelona tipped as his next destination.
- Griezmann now has 29 goals this season, although it was Gabi’s late strike that sealed the victory.
England pick Alexander-Arnold, omit Hart and Wilshere for FIFA World Cup.
- England omitted Joe Hart and Jack Wilshere from its World Cup squad on Wednesday and called up Trent Alexander-Arnold.
- Hart was England’s first-choice goalkeeper at the last World Cup and the two most recent European Championships.
- England is in Group G with Belgium, Panama and Tunisia.
Bengaluru FC qualifies for AFC Cup knockouts.
- Bengaluru FC produced a professional performance to blank Abahani Dhaka 4-0 before outside help from Aizawl FC.
- FC Bengaluru needed a win to qualify and was also relying on Aizawl FC to beat Maldives’ New Radiant.
- Bengaluru finished the group on 15 points, New Radiant 12 and four points apiece for Abahani and Aizawl.