Daily Current Affairs March 8
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs March 8
Arun Jaitley to contest Rajya Sabha polls from UP.
- Union finance minister Arun Jaitley is nominated by the BJP to represent the Upper House from Uttar Pradesh.
- He has been representing Gujarat in the Rajya Sabha since April 2000.
- Jaitley was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Gujarat for the first time when he was appointed the minister of state.
India-China bilateral trade hits the historic high of $84.44 billion in 2017.
- The India-China bilateral trade reached $84.44 billion last year, a historic high notwithstanding bilateral tensions over a host of issues.
- A rare novelty of the bilateral trade otherwise dominated by the Chinese exports was about 40 percent increase in Indian exports to China in 2017.
- The bilateral trade in 2017 rose by 18.63 percent year-on-year to reach $84.44 billion.
- The bilateral trade stagnated around $70 billion for several years despite the leaders of both the countries setting $100 billion as a target for 2015.
Deccan Queen Express train to have all-women staff today.
- On the occasion of the International Women’s Day, the Central Railway (CR) has decided to deploy all-women staff on the popular Deccan Queen Express train.
- The Matunga Road station of the Western Railway (WR) will also be fully-managed by women from today.
- Asia’s first woman train driver Surekha Yadav will pilot the express and senior assistant loco pilot Trushna Joshi will assist her.
Chandrababu Naidu says TDP ministers to quit NDA govt today.
- The Telugu Desam Party (TDP) said on Wednesday that its ministers would quit the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government at the Centre.
- The decision came amid a persistent deadlock between the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which leads the NDA, and the TDP over an issue.
- The TDP announced aviation minister P Ashok Gajapati Raju and junior minister for science and technology YS Chowdhury, would quit.
- The TDP has 16 members in the Lok Sabha and six in the Rajya Sabha.
Avani Chaturvedi India’s first woman fighter pilot to fly solo.
- Flying officer Avani Chaturvedi is the first Indian woman pilot in the Indian Air Force to complete a solo flight in a MiG-21 Bison fighter aircraft.
- Chaturvedi flew solo in a MiG-21 Bison fighter aircraft over Jamnagar Air Base on February 19 for around 30 minutes.
- She is among the first batch of three women officers who were commissioned as fighter pilots in the IAF in June 2016.
ITBP gets first woman officer in a combat role.
- In another first for women, 25-year-old Prakriti has been inducted as the first direct-entry combat officer in the Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
- The ITBP force is the last of the CAPFs to induct women officers in combat roles after the government first allowed it to enrol them in 2016.
- Prakriti, who goes by a single name, had cleared the UPSC exam for officers’ recruitment in CAPFs in the same year and in her first attempt.
- The force already has women in combat roles but only in the constable ranks.
Latest International Current Affairs March 8 Updates from around the globe.
The UK rolls out the red carpet for Saudi crown prince.
- Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II welcomed Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman on Wednesday at the start of a controversial state visit.
- The crown prince launched with the queen at Buckingham Palace ahead of talks with Prime Minister Theresa May.
- May defended the invitation and Saudi’s involvement in Yemen when she was grilled in parliament over Prince Mohammed.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs March 8 updates by reading the news.
Coca-Cola to launch first alcoholic drink.
- Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola is breaking has plans to launch its first alcoholic drink aimed at Japan’s growing alcopop market.
- The world’s largest soft drink company is eyeing the burgeoning demand for “Chu-Hi” canned sparkling flavoured drinks.
- Since it was created in May 1886 at a soda fountain in Atlanta, Georgia by John S Pemberton, the recipe for Coca-Cola has been kept a secret.
Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma youngest Indian on Forbes list of billionaires.
- Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma the youngest Indian billionaire according to Forbes magazine.
- While 92-year-old Samprada Singh, chairman emeritus of Alkem Laboratories Ltd, is the oldest, according to Forbes magazine.
- Sharma ranked 1,394th on the list with a fortune of $1.7 billion, is the only Indian billionaire in the under-40 league.
Kia Motors to plunge into Indian small car market.
- Kia Motors Corp. will take a plunge into India’s crowded small car market.
- The affiliate of South Korea’s Hyundai Motor Corp. plans to make three or more models in the compact hatchback.
- Hatchbacks account for almost two-thirds of India’s car market, which is poised to become the world’s third largest by 2020.
- While Kia is set to begin production by the middle of next year at Anantapur in southern India, more competition is coming.
- Motor Corp. is also setting up its first car manufacturing plant in India to sell the MG brand from 2019.
Hardeo Singh Yadav appointed Nerist director.
- The Union human resource development ministry appointed Hardeo Singh Yadav as the director of North East Regional Institute of Science and Technology.
- The appointment committee of the cabinet has approved the proposal, based on the recommendation of the search-cum-selection committee.
- Yadav is presently serving as the senior-most professor in the chemistry department of the institute.
- He had also served as the director-in-charge of the deemed university from April 19, 2016, to March 26 last year.
Indian architect Balkrishna Doshi wins Pritzker prize.
- Indian architect Balkrishna Doshi, a pioneer of low-cost housing design, won the prestigious Pritzker Prize on Wednesday.
- He is the 45th Pritzker laureate and the first from India.
- Doshi began studying architecture in 1947, the year India gained independence.
Current Affairs March 8 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Juventus come back to beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-1.
- Gonzalo Higuain and Paulo Dybala scored twice inside three minutes as Juventus stunned Tottenham to reach the Champions League quarterfinals.
- Tottenham became the first English side to be eliminated in the Champions League this season.
- Liverpool advanced Tuesday and Manchester City went through on Wednesday with a 5-2 victory over Basel despite losing 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium.